When You Feel Like God Is Shouting at You


Have you ever felt like God is trying to tell you something?

Lately, I've felt like God is holding a neon sign trying to get my attention. I'm pretty sure that God is trying to get me to trust Him.

Exhibit A: Philippians 4:6-8

Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. 

When I helped start a girls household at St. Gregory's, these verses from Philippians really resonated with us. Since then, I have heard these verses everywhere!  I had to read them for class, I heard them in mass, my friend read them in her brother's wedding, and a speaker mentioned them in a talk I recently attended. Wherever I go, I keep hearing them.


Exhibit B: Litany of Trust

From the belief that
I have to earn Your love
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear that I am unlovable
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the false security
that I have what it takes
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear that trusting You
will leave me more destitute
Deliver me, Jesus

(Full prayer available here)

When I was sidewalk counseling over the summer, one of the Sisters of Life stopped by. She encouraged me and gave me the Litany of Trust prayer which was written by the Sisters of Life. Since then, that prayer has become my favorite. A couple of weeks ago, Sr. Bethany Madonna of the Sisters of Life visited Benedictine. She talked a lot about trusting God and she handed out copies of the Litany of Trust to everyone there.

Exhibit C: Trust God in the Present Moment

O present moment, you belong to me, whole and entire.
I desire to use you as best I can.
And although I am weak and small,
You grant me the grace of Your omnipotence.
And so, trusting in Your mercy,
I walk through life like a little child,
Offering You each day this heart
Burning with love for Your greater Glory.
--St. Faustina

I have been told countless times recently about the importance of trusting God in each individual moment.  I have been told this in mass, in confession, in spiritual direction, by friends, etc. I have also been reading St. Faustina's Diary where she talks a lot about trusting God in the present moment.

Trusting God can seem too daunting. The future seems unknown. Thoughts of what "might" happen flood into my mind. However, I realized I am scared of nothing. I am scared of what "might" happen. Guess what? As I was told in spiritual direction, "mights" don't exist! The present moment DOES  I only need to find the strength to trust God in my life today.

You'd think that when you can clearly see what God wants of you, it'd be easy to follow through. Unfortunately, trusting God is harder than it seems. It's pretty obvious that God wants me to trust Him but it's so hard. I am sure that I will fail often, but I will keep working to grow in trust. 

To end, I have included a few quotes from experts on learning to trust God--the saints!


 The secret of happiness is to live moment by moment and to thank God for all that He, in His goodness, sends to us day after day. --St. Gianna

Who except God can give you peace? Has the world ever been able to satisfy the heart? -- St. Gerard Majella

“Do not have any anxiety about the future. Leave everything in God’s hands for he will take care of you.” –- St. John the Baptist de La Salle

Do not fear what may happen tomorrow. The same loving Father who cares for you today will care for you tomorrow and every day. Either he will shield you from suffering or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace then and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginings.--St. Francis de Sales


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Different Kind of Summer Job

Currently...8/3/17

Walking into Janitor Closets (and other transferring adventures)