A Different Kind of Summer Job

This past week, I started an internship. I am an intern for the Catholic Pro-Life Committee and I am working as a sidewalk counselor this summer. My job is essentially to provide support, help, and options, for women entering abortion clinics. The goal is obviously to save the life of the baby and help the women and their families through whatever difficulties they are facing.

I have been Catholic and Pro-Life for as long as I can remember. It was how I was raised. I always knew abortion was wrong because it takes an innocent life. It hurts the woman, it kills the baby. However, I also knew that the women who turn towards abortion often do so out of desperation. I always felt empathy for these people.

However, after working two days this week, I realized that being aware of abortion and its heartbreaking effects and seeing it with my own eyes were two different things.

It's honestly so hard, watching the women walk into the clinic. I imagine the circumstances which lead them to this decision and it breaks my heart. My job, along with the other sidewalk counselors, is to try to make them aware that they don't have to do this. There is other help (in the form of crisis pregnancy centers) which can offer them whatever they need for no cost. My job is to attempt to save the life of the unborn.

It broke my heart when an young couple who initially came in on Thursday and seemed like they would reconsider their decision to terminate the pregnancy ended up coming back to have the abortion on Friday. The girl was young and was being pressured by her parents who felt she wasn't ready to have a child.

This job is going to be more challenging than I could have ever believed possible. I have the opportunity to save lives. You never know the impact your words can have on someone. I pray that God will grant me the strength and the courage to help these women and their babies. My Grandma is source of inspiration to me, she was a sidewalk counselor for many years. She is a remarkable woman and I am so proud to be able to follow in her footsteps.

 I am so grateful for the opportunity to make a difference. Please pray for me this summer!
(Images taken from here)

Comments

  1. Beautiful! You need to get in touch w/my daughter, Emma. She is involved in pro-life work here in CO. I know your mother through a Catholic HS group, and we're originally from OK. Emma almost went to St. Gregory's! Well, I encouraged her. She is at a secular university with an excellent Catholic student center AND is in Students for Life. Hoping to connect you girls on FB. God bless you in your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I would love to get in contact with Emma! Sounds like we would have a lot in common. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hard job! Praying God gives you the strength you need and that you can pour His love on these women. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Walking into Janitor Closets (and other transferring adventures)

Welcome